Thursday, July 6, 2017

Creamy Salmon Chowdah!

If you're like me, you don't wanna cook something for dinner that's gonna take 2 hours to make--after working all day, maybe hitting the gym and trying to fight the inevitable "evening slump". 

So the other day, I did a quick Google search for easy dinner recipes. I came across a link from Country Living for "75+ Simple Meals That Take 30 Minutes" ( or something like that! ) and took a gander. Well, since I already had most of the ingredients for this recipe at home, I decided to print it out. I think I did all of this on Monday, but here it is--Thursday night--and I decided that I was going to make it. So I did.

Creamy Salmon Chowder


* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 bunch of scallions ( I didn't use these because I didn't have any )
* 1 stalk celery
* 3 cloves garlic ( but mine were HUGE, so I only used 2 )
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* .13 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ( um, IDKWTF ".13 tsp" is, so I did 1/3 tsp )
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 2 tbsp flour
* 1 qt nonfat milk ( ...but 1% )
* 1 lb red potatoes ( I used 3 medium )
* 3/4 lb skinless salmon fillet ( I used 2 frozen fillets )
* 2 cup frozen corn
* chopped fresh dill ( nixed this, too ) 

So you put the oil in the pot with the celery, scallions ( if you use them), garlic, thyme, red pepper, salt, pepper and cook it until you think the celery is soft.

While that is on the stove, I'd cut up your potatoes so you don't have to be like ME and worry about shit burning because you forgot to cut the potatoes! HAHA!

After that, put the flour in the stove mixture and coat accordingly.

Once all that is coated well, put in the milk with an additional 1 cup of water.  Then throw those taters in and simmer until they get tender. 

Then you wanna add your salmon and the corn to the mix. Bring it to a simmer AGAIN and make sure your salmon is the right color. 

Scoop it out, top it with that dill ( if you want ) and BOOM!--dinner. is. served! 

Looking back, I'm pretty sure that I put 1/2 tsp salt AND pepper in this mix, which would make sense as to why it seemed so peppery! But the flavor was good, the texture was perfect and it was super simple to make. 

I've already Pinned this recipe to my Dinner! board on Pinterest and, although it's more of a "fall" type of meal, if you like soup and you want something quick to make, I definitely recommend this recipe!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment